Thursday, July 19, 2007

Faux Fish Tacos

These may sound weird, but if you've ever had and enjoyed a fish taco, Baja style, try it my way, too.
Traditional fish tacos are firm white fillets deep-fried in beer batter, served in soft corn tortillas (usually 2, because it can get messy) with shredded cabbage, crema, salsa of choice, and squeeze of lime. Salsa options generally include pico de gallo, chipotle salsa, tomatillo/ avocado salsa, etc. This is typical example:

As an ex-San Diegan, I was hankering for fish tacos lately, and tried to think of a low-carb, low-cal, Kimkins-friendly alternative. This was the best I could do, but we all liked it. The key is serving and eating it freshly made, for that interplay of contrasts between hot and cold, soft and crisp, spicy and mild.

Mix up a little white sauce, and set aside. (Recipe below.)

Mix up (or buy) a batch of salsa of choice. (Recipe below.)

Get a head of green cabbage, and wash and trim some nice big leaves. Drain and set aside. (I cut a little inverted V-shape to get out just the tough part of the ribs.)

Pan-grill or bake tilapia fillets (or any mild white fish you have) with a little lemon pepper and garlic powder.

Place hot cooked fish on cold crisp cabbage leaf, drizzle with white sauce and salsa, squeeze on a lime wedge, then wrap it up, and enjoy!

I served it with lime wedges, pico de gallo, extra cilantro, chopped onion, and radish and avocado slices (plus corm tortillas) for the family.

Here's my old recipe for the sauce. I made it this time with light mayo and Calorie Countdown dairy beverage.
(You can also make it with equal parts mayo/ yogurt or mayo/sour cream.)
I sometimes like to add a smidge of horseradish. Tabasco, or chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. You could add some sugar-free relish, too.

Becky's Fish Taco Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise (I used light mayo.)
1/4 cup milk (I used Hood Calorie Countdown.)
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Becky's Salsa:
1 (or more) garlic cloves, peeled and minced (I like more!)
6 tomatoes, ripe, diced
1/2 onion, minced
2 Tbs cilantro leaves, chopped, stems removed
2 serrano chilies, seeded and chopped (or jalepenos)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper


I might try the egg crepe 'tortillas', or the versions with a little natural whey powder for some texture.

Or, I might also just serve the fish atop finely shredded cabbage with sauce and condiments and call it close enough.

No comments: